The University of Zurich currently has a campus-wide MATLAB license available to all students and employees of the UZH under the MathWorks Total Academic Headcount TAH program. The current license is valid untill September 2018.
- No limitations on number of concurrent users
- Including many toolboxes (click to see full list)
- Possibility to install locally without the need to connect to a license server
New Matlab R0217b release
Dear Matlab users
The new Matlab R2017b - has just been released by Mathworks.
Following some instructions on how to install and activate the new R2017b release depending on the activation type as described at:
- Network Concurrent User
- We are now testing the ID license server and will update it in the next days. Until then, you should *not* install Matlab R2017b; the license server will not be able to provide a valid activation.
- Designated Computer and Standalone Named User
- For those activating Matlab with the Designated Computer and Standalone Named User activation type, you can directly download the Matlab installer https://ch.mathworks.com/downloads/web_downloads/download_release?release=R2017b and proceed with the local installation
How to update an existing Matlab installation ?
Matlab will be notified about the extension of the license the next time it connects to the Mathworks Activation Server – this happens automatically in the background from time to time while Matlab is running.
- Staff activation types: extension should be done automatically.
- Student activation types: extension should be done manually.
- If your Matlab installation does not automatically updates its activation status, you could follow any of the following procedures:
Start Matlab UI with elevated privileges, click on the help icon, move mouse to licensing and click on `Update Current Licenses ...` => click through, then restart Matlab.
If this does not work, just create a new activation key follow the instructions at: Deploying a TAH Campus License: Designated Computer
As a last option a new installation might be an option, that would also allow you to upgrade to the latest Matlab release.
If your Matlab installation is activated through the ID license server, the renew of the activation will happen automatically as soon as the ID license server will be updated.
Table of contents
1. Who can use the TAH Campus and Student license ?
The license covers on-campus and home software use for all instructors, staff, and researchers, as well as classroom and lab installations.
Faculty and staff are also able to install MathWorks software on their personally-owned computers.
Students are also covered by the campus-wide license and can install software on their home or laptop computers.
2. What will happen to existing licenses ?
Existing licenses are automatically deactivated and put into Mathworks storage.
The users have two options:
- Reactivate the existing MATLAB installation to the new license number using the activation key.
- Install a newer MATLAB release using the same instructions as a new users (this is the recommended variant).
3. How much will it cost ?
In 2017 and 2018, legitimate users can use MATLAB free of charge under the conditions defined in Mathworks' TAH terms & conditions.
4. How to use the TAH license
The TAH license has these options:
- TAH Campus: Allows campus-wide access on university-owned
computers to all faculty, staff and students. TAH Campus licenses support
two activation types:
- Designated Computer: Software is installed onto individual computers and does not use a network. User may install and use the software on a number of computers.
- Network Concurrent User: Activation software is installed in a central location (i.e. license server). This installation type has the advantage of easier central management of the software.
- TAH Student: Allows student access on their personally owned or leased
computers. TAH Student licenses support only one activation type:
- Standalone Named User
Currently the following use cases are under consideration:
- How to setup a new Matlab installation on a personal computer
- How to update an existing Matlab installation on a personal computer
- How to install Matlab license server
- How to update Matlab clients with Network Concurrent User activation type
- How to update a Matlab server
- How to update a Matlab Classroom
- How to update Matlab on a Computational Cluster
- How to setup Matlab using the TAH Student license
If none of the above mentioned use cases cover your scenario, please get in touch with us at http://www.id.uzh.ch/en/support.html.
5. How do I stay tuned on Matlab information ?
A mailing list named
matlab-info has been created to inform on the development of the TAH license procedures as well as on announcement on Matlab support.
For further questions, please consult: http://www.id.uzh.ch/en/support.html
6.Slides of initial information event
Take a look at the collection of faq.